Galette Filling Ingredients
- 2 Cups Fiddleheads – Blanched for 5 minutes in salted boiling water – Cooled in an ice bath
- 2 Tablespoons Confit Garlic paste or Wild Ramp Pesto (recipe below)
- 1 Cup Old Cheddar & shaved Asiago or Vegan Smoked Gouda
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter (melted) or olive oil
- 1/2 a large onion – finely julienned & sautéed & deglazed with aged balsamic
- 2 large Sprigs of rosemary chopped
- pinch of Salt & pepper
- Mix all the ingredients together and set aside until pastry is ready
Laminated Pastry (aka Puff Pastry) Ingredients
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour, plus a little extra on the side
- 1 Teaspoon of salt
- 2/3 Cup of iced water
- 1 Cup unsalted butter or Vegetable lard (cold)
On the counter – mix the flour and salt. Make a trough by running your fingers down the center. Evenly distribute 1 tablespoon of water at a time while mixing roughly with your fingers using a scooping motion. Gather the flour back into a mound and repeat the process until all the water is used. The flour starts clumping together in large pieces and holds together when pressed.
Chill the dough for 30 minutes while you get the cold butter prepared.
Cut the cold butter into small blocks. Sprinkle with a small amount of flour and place between 2 large pieces of parchment. Using your rolling to pound the butter flat until butter is pliable and does not break when you fold it over on itself. Chill for about 10 minutes. Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out on a floured surface. Place the chilled flatten butter on top of the dough. Fold the corners of the dough over the butter so they meet in the middle. Pinch to seal then flip on re-floured surface. Roll it out to a rectangle and fold top inwards a third down and fold bottom over top (it’ll look like a folded tea towel. Rotate and repeat 3 to 4 times. Then chill the puffed dough. You can use within an hour or leave in the fridge over night. Preheat oven to 425 F. Roll out Puff pastry to 1/4 inches thick in a rough circle. Spoon the Galette filling onto the center of the pastry in a thick but even layer. Fold and pleat the edges of the dough border over the Fiddleheads, leaving the center exposed. Lightly b rush the edges of the dough with water or an egg wash. Cook for 10 minutes at 425 then reduce heat to 350 for 40 minutes or until pastry is gold brown. Rotate at least once halfway through cook time. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. The pastry will reabsorb the butter. Slice and serve.